Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cash & Cari...& Crystal too!

I was born and raised in the great state of Michigan, and I happen to be an HGTV addict. You can imagine how thrilled I was when I discovered an HGTV show is filmed there regularly! Cash & Cari is shot in Northville, Michigan and soon became a favorite of mine. When I realized I'd be heading home for a family wedding, I knew I'd be making a special stop by Cari's store: Re-Purpose.


The town of Northville first caught my attention on the drive in. It's beautiful and well worth a visit, but back to why we're here...CARI!

The store can be entered in two ways. From the street...




And from inside the small shopping center it's located in...





Located inside the lobby of the shopping center, Cari's signature "truck" caught my eye...



Like a true tourist, I took advantage of a truck photo-op, but I'll spare you!

Upon entering the store, I was like a kid in a candy store! There was so much stimulation for a decor diva, I didn't know where to look! I would have loved to share a picture of every square inch, but I asked one of the employees their photo policy, and I had to stick to scans of the entire space. When I finally took a moment to stand still, I did capture this...



The shop is full of vintage art, wall art by local artists, refinished furniture, hand painted furniture, lamps, some spectacular and genius light fixtures (you just have to see to believe), clothes, dishes, etc. I had my eye on a pair of reupholstered chairs that I would LOVE to have, but the car space didn't really allow, and I think I would have gotten some bad looks if my 1 year old rode back to Virginia on the hood!

There is also a lot of handmade "Etsyish" items too...like wine bottle stoppers made from vintage door knobs, ipad cases, jewelry and potholders. I snagged a wine bottle stopper (mine's made from what I believe to be an old iron fence finial) and an ipad case that I "Re-Purposed" into a camera case!

Here's the kicker...within 30 minutes of browsing around, CARI CAME IN THE DOOR! We had just asked the staff if she'd be there that day. One girl said, "You never know. She might be here today, because there was an estate sale this weekend, but she hasn't been in in awhile."

I just slowly walked out so I could see her, and my heart hit my toes! I was starstruck and speechless! The same girl came up to us and said, "Did you see she's here. You can go talk to her. She loves that!" I watched as she blew her nose (like a real person), answered the phone and gave direction on where to put what furniture that was being hauled inside.

Soon, we were ready to check out, and I walked up to the counter. She was standing right there-AHHHH! She came around the counter to introduce herself to a "Virginia fan", and I asked if she'd be so kind as to take a picture with me for my blog. She said of course but that she'd been in bed sick the day before, so she thought she looked terrible...As if! We posed for one, and she suggested we take another one just in case. She was right. The second one was much better....




I reluctantly let her get back to work and began digging through a basket of necklace charms made from vintage typewriter keys. There wasn't a "C", so I decided not to get one. Cari reached for something on the counter and handed it to the cashier. She said, "She can have it. You came from Virginia. I was saving it for myself, but I can have her make me another one!" It was the "C" charm (and the best $19.99 I've ever spent). I stumbled over my words with a whole bunch of "are you sures" and "thanks so much" (at least I hope I thanked her)...Needless to say, I haven't taken it off yet!

Oh...I'll be back to little Northville and Re-Purpose. That's for sure!




In the meantime, I'll have to stalk the store's site and wait for a good estate sale near someone I know. If I use the relative excuse, my hubby may be more apt to let me go!



Enjoy your day!

4 comments:

  1. So glad I could be part of your special day!!! It sure made my day to see you so happy!!! By the way my grandson would have been in the car and you would have road on the hood!!! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like so much fun! I would've love to tag along ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AS soon as I get my cast of my right leg, I am coming in to look and buy! Love the show and hope it's back on in the fall schedule!
    How did the sale go in Palmer Park on the weekend. Wish I could have made it, the homes have so much History and are beautiful, like the Grosse Pointe areas!!!
    We live 10 minutes away, and I can't wait come into the store, I think my hubby will come with me too!!
    See you soon,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. My note was the one above. My hubby FB was on and I thought it was my site!! Sorry, Barbara

    ReplyDelete